Beauty Tips and How-To’s
Avocado Hair Treatment How-To
What you will need or can use:
- One ripe avocado small or large (depending on how much product you want to make)
- Half a lemon
- Two small Aloe Vera leaves
- A cup of plain yogurt (can use mayonnaise or olive oil instead)
What to do:
- Cut the avocado and scoop out all of the avocado goodness and throw it in an electronic mixer
- Toss yogurt into mixer and squeeze lemon juice in as well. Tip: Lemon juice adds shine, but too much lemon juice can also dry out your hair. If you want to achieve more moisture you can replace the yogurt with 1/3 a cup of mayonnaise or 1/4 of a cup of olive oil.
- Getting the Aloe Vera jelly substance out of the leaves can be a little tricky. First you want to carefully split the leaf open with a small knife. Then you can use the same knife to scrape the gel off of the leaves into the mixer. (I included a video below for some help with this part).
- Mix all the ingredients together in the mixer or blender (whatever you can use) until you have a smooth consistency. It will look like a hair treatment product you bought from a store.
- Before applying onto the hair you can warm it up for about 30 seconds in the microwave or you can go ahead and apply it to the hair and then sit under a hair dryer for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse and shampoo well, and style as you normally do.
This a recipe that has been in my family for years. We use it once a month as an intensive hair treatment to bring shine and moisture to our hair. It’s similar to some of the products you find at the store except that it doesn’t have the added chemicals that insure its shelf life. Therefore, only make this when you are able to use immediately.
**I am not a cosmetologist or licensed hairstylist. Just a girl that’s dealt with hair troubles for many years and like to use tips passed on from my mother and her ancestors.**
Let me know how it works out for you and feel free to share before and after pics. Also, if you have any questions about this specific treatment send me an email or comment below.